Skip to main content

The Seven Islands of Grenada

Welcome to Grenada! 

Grenada is actually made up of a cluster of seven islands with the largest one being the mainland.
Here the official language is English but it's not uncommon to hear a bit of French here and there due to the British and French history.

Visual overview of Grenada




Unique features 

Underwater Sculpture Park of Grenada

Grenada has an underwater attraction which consists of clusters of sculptures that only appear to be ancient! In reality, they were constructed the very recent year of 2006 by the artist Jason deCaires Taylor.
The most discussed among the sculptures is this one pictured above, of children holding hands in a circle.
This attraction can be accessed via scuba diving.
There are 75 statues in total which are bolted down to the seafloor to stay in place.
The construction of this attraction was intended to help protect and reconstruct the reefs of Grenada following the damage that occurred. 

Grenada's Rain Forest

The islands of Grenada were formed from volcanic activity resulting in fertile soil. Along with the tropical temperature, this rich soil supports biodiversity. This biodiversity, volcanic soil, and humid temperature give fruit to Grenada's rain forest

References

Pace, Sue A. "A SOCIOLINGUISTIC CONSIDERATION OF ENGLISH SPOKEN IN GRENADA, BRITISH WEST INDIES." Sociolinguistic Studies in Language Contact: Methods and Cases 6 (1979): 265.
Reguero, Borja G., et al. "Coral reefs for coastal protection: A new methodological approach and engineering case study in Grenada." Journal of environmental management 210 (2018): 146-161.


Comments

  1. Daniela, the sculptures you provided of those children were honestly breathtaking. I love how you included that into your blog. Thank you for introducing us to the beauty of Grenada.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

What do I look like?  Where am I From? Georgia, United States of America No, really. Like where is your family from? My family is from Mexico. My mom's side is from a mid-eastern region of Mexico whilst my dad is from a northwestern region. My two older siblings were born there but my family all moved to the united states before my younger sister and I were born. I personally have never been but I do hope to go one day since all my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins are down there and I have never met them in person. What's your major? Business Management. What do you want to do when you graduate? that's a very personal question how dare you ask me that? (I'm not sure.) Do you have any hobbies? I used to. I was an avid reader for a large part of my childhood. Heavy class-loads and work-loads over the past 5 years or so have made my reading habits practically nonexistent. Well, what do you like to do in your spare time? Before COVID-19 ruined our lives I enjoyed go

El Caribe Gris

 What were the difficulties you encountered when reading Caribe Gris ? When reading Caribe Gris  it was difficult to coherently understand what the text was about. When reading the excerpt from the doc I wasn't able to easily differentiate between what were the author's words and what wasn't. I wasn't able to decipher what was what based on word choice because the english translation made everything weird for lack of a better term. Real photo of me very confused reading

The French and British Rule of Grenada

Pre-European Settlement The islands of Grenada were originally occupied by the peaceful Arawak people. They were wiped out by the Carib people who were much more violent. The Caribs claimed settlement over the land for 150 years or so following their take-over. Any attempts made by British merchants to also form settlement were met with resistance, and they were forced to leave.  French and British From 1650-1763 Grenada was French territory after Jacques-Dyel du Parquet of Martinique purchased it. Following the Treaty of Paris, Grenada was surrendered to Britain. There was some give and take as France repossessed Grenada in 1779 only to be restored to Britain again in 1783.