Skip to main content

El Caribe Gris

 What were the difficulties you encountered when reading Caribe Gris?

When reading Caribe Gris it was difficult to coherently understand what the text was about. When reading the excerpt from the doc I wasn't able to easily differentiate between what were the author's words and what wasn't. I wasn't able to decipher what was what based on word choice because the english translation made everything weird for lack of a better term.
Real photo of me very confused reading

How did you deal with those difficulties?

I did a couple of things to help me understand the text better. Instead of reading from the document, I opened up the web article instead. The web article was formated in a way that it was easier to see who was saying what. I also bounced back and forth between English and Spanish whenever I was getting confused. My internet browser has an auto-translate feature on it so the article was translated from Spanish to English right on the page. Some phrases or words in Spanish have no direct translation in English, making computer-generated translation harder to decipher. Thankfully, I'm hispanic and able to read some spanish which helped immensely with understanding the main idea of the text.

Did your understanding of the main idea change?

My understanding of the main idea didn't change but the depth of the main idea was altered. The main idea takeaway that I had simply needed to be broadened to be applied in a more universal sense. My main idea was that Christopher Columbus was able to shape the ideas and prejudices one has towards a certain people for many years to come, but I understand now that the main idea is that history is written by those that were more successful, and thus history can be biased and prejudiced which can affect how we see certain events, behaviors, or ideas.

Comments

  1. Hey Daniela, I myself had so much issues trying to write this post. It's interesting to see how you worked it out. Your assessment of the article is very thorough and helps me understand the article better as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About Me

What do I look like?  Where am I From? Georgia, United States of America No, really. Like where is your family from? My family is from Mexico. My mom's side is from a mid-eastern region of Mexico whilst my dad is from a northwestern region. My two older siblings were born there but my family all moved to the united states before my younger sister and I were born. I personally have never been but I do hope to go one day since all my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins are down there and I have never met them in person. What's your major? Business Management. What do you want to do when you graduate? that's a very personal question how dare you ask me that? (I'm not sure.) Do you have any hobbies? I used to. I was an avid reader for a large part of my childhood. Heavy class-loads and work-loads over the past 5 years or so have made my reading habits practically nonexistent. Well, what do you like to do in your spare time? Before COVID-19 ruined our lives I enjoyed go

The French and British Rule of Grenada

Pre-European Settlement The islands of Grenada were originally occupied by the peaceful Arawak people. They were wiped out by the Carib people who were much more violent. The Caribs claimed settlement over the land for 150 years or so following their take-over. Any attempts made by British merchants to also form settlement were met with resistance, and they were forced to leave.  French and British From 1650-1763 Grenada was French territory after Jacques-Dyel du Parquet of Martinique purchased it. Following the Treaty of Paris, Grenada was surrendered to Britain. There was some give and take as France repossessed Grenada in 1779 only to be restored to Britain again in 1783.